Photos are a great way to store memories and there are a ton of reasons to keep them around. However, for others, there are also a ton of reasons to get rid of them. If you’re on Apple’s ecosystem, then you need to learn how to delete photos from iPhone.
There are a lot of ways to do that and some of them will work on Android as well (Aka: using the gallery app or the file manager). But, for now, we’ll be focusing on iPhones. Without any further ado, let’s get right into it.
1: Use the Photos App
Arguably, the easiest way to delete photos from iPhone devices is by using the default Photos app. And this often applies to most kinds of smartphones as well – regardless of the operating system.
The stock iPhone Photos app, in particular, allows you to delete photos both one by one or multiple ones at all with the multiple selection tool. To delete a photo one by one:
- Open the “Photos” app
- Find the picture that you want to delete then tap on it once
- Tap on “Delete Photo”
- And that’s about it
For those of you who only need to get rid of a few photos, this is more enough. But, if you need to delete multiple pics all at once, here’s how to do that as well:
- While still in the Photos app, tap on “Select” at the upper right part of the corner
- Tap on the images that you wish to delete
- Then tap on the trash icon at the bottom right part of the screen
And that’s literally as easy as it gets.
- Very easy to use
- No need to install 3rd party apps
- Some images may be hard or even impossible to find with the default app
2: How to Delete Photos From iPhone With a File Manager
Using the default “Photos” app is the easiest way to get rid of unwanted pictures. But, that’s only for as far as you’re dealing with your own photos and in relatively small quantities.
Unfortunately, the default app may often miss a lot of pictures that are downloaded from other apps or even the web. Some of them may be hidden on purpose as well.
In such cases, using a file manager may be your best alternative option instead. Now, there are a ton of them to choose from out there, but FileApp, File Manager, and File Master are definitely some of the most popular choices at the moment.
The process is fairly simple:
- Head over to the app store and download the file manager of your choice
- Open it
- Find the location of the photos that you want to delete
- Then proceed to delete them (Follow the instructions on how to do that for the individual app. Each one of them differs and that’s why we can’t guide you step by step on this one)
File managers generally give you more control over everything. However, the only tricky part is finding a decent option along with the location of your files.
The default location of your photos should be on the “Pictures” folder. If not, head over to the Photos app and find the Preferences -> General tab which should pinpoint you in the right direction.
Apart from giving you more control, file managers also make it possible to discover hidden files that are not visible on the default Photos app as well.
- Gives you more control over files
- Makes it possible to discover hidden photos amongst other stuff
- Much more complicated to use compared to the stock “Photos” app
- Requires installation of 3rd party apps
3: How to Delete Photos From iPhone by Using Your PC
Using this method to delete photos is basically the same thing as using a file manager. However, instead of doing it on your phone, you are doing it from a computer.
The only benefit that this method offers compared to using a standard file manager is that you don’t have to bother with installing 3rd party apps. However, at the same time, it requires you to have a computer – be it a Mac or a Windows one.
Mac computers are a bit easier to use with this method as they offer “Image Capture” which you can use to instantly get access to pictures instead of having to look for them. So, to do that on Mac:
- Connect your iPhone to the Mac with a USB cable
- Launch Image Capture on the Mac
- Select your device if it’s not selected automatically on the left part of the screen
- Then do as you wish with the images
- Do keep in mind that you can use the “Command+A” shortcut to select all pictures and delete everything in one click
And while there are also a few 3rd party tools that can be used on Windows computers, we’re going to stick with Windows’ File Explorer for the duration of this guide:
- Connect your iPhone to the PC with a USB cable
- Open Windows’ File Explorer (Should be on the dock by default. If not, look for it by using the search bar)
- Your iPhone should appear on the left side of the app. Click on it
- Navigate to your Pictures’ folder (Or whenever you’ve got the pictures that need to be deleted)
- And delete anything you want (Use CTRL + Left-Mouse button for multiple selections. Alternatively, you can hold the left mouse button down as well)
Those are the basic methods that you need in order to delete photos from an iPhone device. If you feel like there’s something better that’s worth mentioning, feel free to let us and everyone else know about it in the comments section down below!
While we’re at it, we’d highly recommend backing up your photos and anything else that may be important to the cloud or a local computer. Whatever fits you best. It’s an extra layer of protection in case you end up deleting something by accident or even if you end up losing the phone.
- Apple AirPods VS PowerBeats Pro: Which Should You Pick? - January 1, 2021
- Our Cyberpunk 2077 Rating: Could Have Been the Best Game - December 15, 2020
- 10 Best Zoom Lens for iPhone Devices to Get in Late 2021 - December 2, 2020