Last Updated on January 22, 2021 by Jay
You’re going to need a pair of the best AirPods for running when you’re marching ahead at the beat of your drummer. Here’s a complete guide on the best running earbuds to buy right now, no matter what the budget it.
The human civilization is obsessed with the sound of music, which is almost as natural as hunger or the feeling of love. Music is associated with everything we do – sappy love songs for the special someone, to inspirational words that can compel an entire country to march into war – music is more than just rhythms and rhymes put together.
From your commute back home from a long day at work, to the morning jog in the park, you want to enjoy your favorite beats on the go. However, going on your morning run, with the wired earphones dangling all along can be annoying, to say the least. There is the option of wireless earbuds, but how long will one stay in your ear while you’re on the move?
Apple changed the game of wireless earbuds with the AirPods, taking music entirely cord-free while making communication far simpler. But the problem with the first-generation wireless listening devices from Apple is that they aren’t the best AirPods for running and moving around at a swift pace.
The earbuds can easily be dislodged and fall out, and you certainly don’t want to end up losing one, or both of those expensive true wireless stereo (TWS) earbuds. Ever since Apple took over Beats Audio, the company has been working overtime to bring a premium wireless audio experience. The best running earbuds are ones that not only give you a phenomenal music experience during the workout but offer quality communication features.
Best AirPods for Running + Best Running Earbuds
Running in itself is exhausting, especially when you’re being stopped in your tracks by phone calls all the time. When picking a pair of earphones for running, you not only need something wireless for a tangle-free experience on the road but a comfortable fit as you spend upwards of an hour on your feet. Additional features such as sweat-resistance, a dependable wireless connection for music transmission, and multi-channel microphones for smooth communication, are just a few of many other features that the best running earbuds must possess. Apart from the premium TWS earbuds such as the best AirPods for running, we have included a range of offerings. Broken down based on the price point, you won’t have to spend an arm and a leg to enjoy a quality music experience on your next run.
Best earbuds for running under 250 dollars
The Apple-owned Beats brand comes out with very first sports-oriented Powerbeats Pro running earphones that combines the music excellence Beats by Dr. Dre is known for, in the embodiment of Apple AirPods tech. The wireless earbuds are designed with in-hooks for a secure and comfortable fit, powered by hours of seamless audio playback across iOS and Android devices.
- A total of 9 hours of audio playback on a single charge, which is tripled with the use of the wireless charging carry case.
- Smarter design for utmost comfort and a sweat-resistant build to support intense workouts and running sessions.
- Powered by Apple H1 audio chip for crystal clear audio and lightning-fast connectivity across all Bluetooth-enabled devices.
- Dedicated control switch for volume, play/pause, and Siri or Google Assistant activation on command.
The original Apple AirPods set the stage for truly wireless earbuds that came after it, and while they were aesthetically pleasing, the jury was out on the audio quality and comfort fit. The AirPods Pro comes as the true successor, offering a snug fit, better design, and truly immersive sound experience that is as enjoyable sitting in the living room, as it is when running a lap in the park.
- AirPods Pro brings active noise cancellation for an isolated sound experience that drains out the noise around you.
- Comfortable in-ear fit with customizable ear tips made from tapered silicone for a natural fit any time you wear them.
- Built-in Adaptive EQ to help you fine-tune the music experience, paired with effortless touch-based gestures for music control.
- Paired with a wireless charging case that extends the battery life of AirPods Pro for more than 24 hours at a stretch.
A pioneer in the world of mobile audio, Jabra brings the Elite Active 75t as an ode to premium third-party accessories that beat even the official ones. Crafted with extensive care for the design that offers a snug fit built for sport, the 4th generation of the Jabra Elite wireless earbuds offer surreal quality audio sound for calls, and an ambient noise cancelation feature to make music more enjoyable and immersive.
- The engineered design offers IP-57 sweat and water resistance and makes for a secure fit that stays comfortable even after hours of wearing.
- The HearThrough mode on the Jabra Elite Active 75t allows ambient noise to enter, for added safety during runs outdoors.
- A collection of quadruple microphone array on the earbuds makes them ideal for audio calls even when you’re out and about.
- A collective charge of 28 hours, along with 7.5 hours per charge, makes these earbuds a powerhouse of battery performance.
After winning over the budget market, Jaybird punches above its weight with the RUN XT wireless running earbuds, and lands a powerful one. Offering a high amount of water and sweat resistance to keep the moisture from all that running at bay, the RUN XT offer fast charging to get you up and running in minutes, paired with all the hardware and software audio prowess you could expect.
- A total of 8 hours of playback charge offered from the case, along with 4 hours of playback from the earbuds.
- A unique hydrophobic coating all around the Jaybird earbuds makes them the perfect shield against sweat during an intense workout.
- A custom EQ built into the earbuds that can be tweaked for a personalized audio experience, along with multi-platform Bluetooth compatibility.
- The silicone ear tips are interchangeable for a better fit, along with the winged tip to keep the earbuds in place at all times.
Best wireless earbuds for running under 150 dollars
A name synonymous with high-end audio, Bose brings you an activewear audio product in the form of SoundSport Free earbuds that won’t disappoint. The combination of a winged tip and three different sizes of silicone tips cement a comfortable wearing experience, packed with a sizable battery to last you more than just one running session.
- Total charging time of 2 hours needed to get 10 + 5 hours of playback time from the earbuds and the charging case combined.
- The Bose “Find my Buds” app allows you to easily track the earbuds in case you drop or misplace one of them.
- The dual-microphone set up in each of the running earbuds ensures superior audio quality during phone calls.
- Dedicated software support from Bose audio means regular firmware updates that tweak the audio experience and improves it over time to improve calling performance, audio-video syncing, and more.
A brand that has dived deep into the TWS earbuds genre, JBL has plenty under its wing, but none compete with the best AirPods for running as the Reflect Flow does. It rocks every durability feature form an IP X67 water-resistant rating, to a long battery life of 10+ hours on a single charge, paired with high-quality audio and fast charging too.
- Rapid charging brings 1 hour of playback time in just 10 minutes, along with 20+ hours charging from the case itself.
- Built with an Ambient Aware feature that keeps you aware of the elements around you for a safe running experience when using the earbuds.
- Packed with a multitude of microphones in combination with the TalkThru feature allows you to have a conversation without removing the earbuds.
- Craftily designed to not just fit well with the extended wingtip, but also look good in Black, Blue, Teal, and Green color schemes.
A more affordable version of the Elite Active 75t, there is virtually nothing different about this pair of running earbuds, apart from the missing active noise cancellation. Meticulously designed to offer supreme comfort, endurance to the natural elements, and pitch-perfect sound all in one, the Jabra Elite 75t earbuds take the trouble of wires, with no compromise made to audio quality whatsoever.
- A smaller form factor keeps the earbuds in place, while the ergonomic design keeps the contraption comfortable enough to wear for longer.
- For audiophiles, the Jabra MySound feature allows you to set up personalized audio profiles to suit your hearing.
- A total of 28 hours of runtime on the earbuds and the charging case alone, with 7.5 hours of playback per earbud.
- High-end Bluetooth 5.0 technology allows for wireless connectivity with multiple devices at once, with almost no drop in calling and audio quality.
After conquering the world of mobile power accessories, Anker is now on the quest to fight for supremacy among the competitors of the best AirPods for running out there. Transitioning into a new phase of audio quality, an award-winning base design, and a stunning amount of playtime, the combination of all these features makes the Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro a tough one to skip.
- The Astria Coaxial Acoustic Architecture of the earbuds is customized to perfection by audio engineers to make the most out of the 11mm dynamic driver.
- Powered by USB Type-C for faster charging that adds up 8 hours of audio playback per charge, and a total of 24 hours with the charging case.
- The HearID intelligent listening software allows you to create a unique audio profile for calling and music playback separately.
- An array of 4 microphones, along with cVc 8.0 noise reduction adds up to make voice calls clearer and more isolated at the same time.
Best running earbuds under 100 dollars
A combination of toughness and superior quality sound, you’ll appreciate the JLabs JBuds Air Sport at the very first sporty look that fits comfortably inside and around the ear. A water and sweat resistance rating of IP X66 keeps the earbuds safe from the natural elements during your run, while the combination of software and hardware features work together for an elevated audio experience and sharp audio during calls.
- The ergonomic ear hooks are soft to feel and wrap around the ears to stay in place during those extended workout sessions.
- Included with the Be Aware Audio feature that keeps you in check with the elements while you’re immersed into the high-quality music.
- Custom EQ3 Sound allows you to create an audio-specific profile, with the preset JLab Signature, Balanced, as well as Bass Boost modes without any app needed.
- The extended runtime of 6 hours per charge is further pushed ahead with a total of 34+ hours of playback time with the active charging case.
Offering the best of surround audio from JBL, coupled with the latest true wireless stereo technology, the JBL Endurance Peak earbuds are a sight to behold. Supported by the JBL Signature Sound audio profiling by the experts in the music industry, it is the sports-first design of these competitors to the best AirPods for running that will win you over.
- Available in Black, Blue, and Red color schemes to choose from.
- The PowerHook design keeps the earbuds fastened on each ear individually, taking the load off the inner-ear and relieving most of the pressure.
- Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity of the next age with touch-sensitive panels on each earbud for simplified controls.
- A combination of 4 hours battery life + 24 hours from the charging case to keep your groovy for days at a stretch.
Another stunner from Anker, the Soundcore Spirit X2 is a budget pair of earbuds that do not disappoint when it comes to comfort design and sound quality. Promising “technology found in high-end speakers”, the Soundcore Spirit X2 rides high on bass, with strict water resistance to keep rain and sweat away from the internals, keeping your running marathon going no matter what.
- Tried and tested BassTurbo technology to inject more bass resonance in the acoustic chamber, achieving surreal surround sound.
- The IP X68 water resistance rating safeguards the Soundcore Spirit X2 against the tough elements, with SweatGuard technology against corrosion.
- A total of 9 hours of music playback on a single charge, which is extended by up to 36 hours with the smart charging case.
- Aesthetically designed EarWings offer added support to the ears when running, while the winged earbuds keep the sound driver in place for an isolated experience.
A formidable name in the tech industry and especially the music world, the Sony Wireless Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones cut the cord in style for sports users. One of the more budget-friendly competitors to the best AirPods for running on the market, these earbuds come with ambient noise cancellation, a surprisingly long battery life, and sound with a punchy bass that is out of the world.
- Despite the lower price point, Sony has included a software-based digital noise cancelation feature to reduce audio distractions around you.
- Built ideally for workout and running sessions to keep you aware of your environment, there’s an Ambient Sound Mode built into the earphones.
- The legumin design makes for a perfectly snug fit, while the protruding wing tip cast out of silicone adds much-needed stability.
- The earbuds come with an IPX4 water resistance rating, along with 9 hours of playback period on a single charge.
Best running headphones under 50 dollars
Just below the $50 mark comes another worthy contender from Anker in the form of the Soundcore Life Dot 2 earbuds. The newly released budget earbuds for running pack a sizeable audio driver that delivers higher bass and treble directly to your ear canal, while features such as quick connectivity and specialized ear wings offer a snug and comfortable fit like no other in its price range.
- A massive 100-hour battery capacity to keep your grooving for days at a stretch, with 4 times the charge delivered by the case itself.
- The Zero Pressure Air Wings are built out of specialized silicone that offers a flexible material to fit into any ear shape and keep the earbuds from falling out.
- Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity for seamless music transfer, along with an 8mm triple-layer audio driver combines to deliver a truly wireless music experience.
- The smart charger case comes with the ability to juice up the earbuds for 90 minutes of playback in just 10 minutes.
Taking its design inspiration from Apple’s Powerbeats Pro, these sports earbuds from Axloie focuses on a secure fit and comfort first. At its price point, these wireless earbuds surprised several thousands of first-time buyers with its high-flying surround sound, alongside an extended playtime, which isn’t something you come to expect from a pair of earbuds that cost less than a fraction of the best AirPods for running in the market today.
- Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity to offer low latency across 30+ feet for maximum connectivity range across the room.
- Secure ear hooks keep the Axloie wireless earbuds in place, with angled soft silicone ear tips that direct sound into the ear canal without any obtrusion.
- The fast-charging case offers a total of six additional charges to the earbuds, which brings up the total charging capacity of the earbuds to 36 hours.
Ending the list on a high note with one of our favorites on the list of the best running earbuds on the market right now, comes from Mpow. Loved and adored by thousands of happy customers online, the Mpow Flame Lite brings the Powerbeats Pro design to your smartphone at an unbelievable price. Sure, there’s no active noise cancelation included, but features such as everlasting battery life, smart touch controls, and seamless connectivity make it a pair of sports earbuds you can’t afford to miss out on.
- Bluetooth 5.0 offers quick pairing with mono and stereo operation that allows you to use the earbuds separately when required.
- The combination of 14.2mm audio drivers, support for SBC & AAC audio codecs, along with a smart silicone audio chamber makes for a stellar audio experience.
- The secure ear hooks keep the Mpow Flame Lite earbuds in place no matter what physically demanding activity you’re undertaking.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is AirPods good for running and jogging?
Apple has designed the original AirPods after the traditional EarPods wired earphones that they’ve given out with the iPhone and iPod for years. Several users have reported after weeks of use that the AirPods are not suitable for running, since they tend to fall out over time. Of course, this depends entirely on your ears size and your running style, but since there’s nothing attaching the sound chamber of the AirPods to the ear canal, it is natural for the AirPods to fall out. Hence, if you are dead set on getting the best AirPods for running and no other brand, then the AirPods Pro is a far better option to pick.
Which are the best earbuds for running in the rain?
While there is no such thing as a pair of waterproof earbuds, one of the mainstream brands that offer something close enough is Jaybird Vista True Wireless Earbuds. Available in Black, Nimbus Grey, and Planetary Green, these earbuds have been marketed as “Earth proof” with an IPX 7 water and dust resistant rating to fight the elements. Meeting the MIL_SPEC STD810G standards of the US Military, the Jaybird Vista earbuds are available with interchangeable ear tips that help you find the perfect fit, which is supported by the winged tip to keep the earbuds snuggly fit inside your ear.
How do I stay safe while running with earbuds?
While it’s a subliminal feeling to listen to your favorite tunes carefree, it is important that you follow some basic safety guidelines with running with earbuds. The first rule it entirely avoid over-ear noise-canceling headphones, since they are not only a fumbling mess when running, but the complete noise isolation can keep you unaware of oncoming traffic or any other obstacle. Another useful safety tip if you’re planning to go on a night run, is to put up some reflective gear on. Additionally, finding a running group might be a great morale booster if you aren’t the lone wolf runners who like to keep their tracks private.
After the initial release of the original Apple AirPods, the market was flooded by third-party TWS devices from all brands. Every major manufacturer, known and unknown, came out with its very own version of truly wireless earbuds, and while some names such as Bose QuietComfort have been phenomenal in this regard, there have been plenty of bad apples too. Each of the wireless earbuds we’ve listed above either comes from a brand that excels at music technology or has risen ahead of the pack based on customer satisfaction and sheer quality of the product. Apple-owned Bose may wear the crown for the best Airpods for running for now, but it certainly isn’t the only pick you have when it comes to wireless running earbuds.
Are you going to stick to the Apple AirPods Pro for an isolated music experience as you tie up your laces and hit the tracks every morning, or do the best earbuds for running under 50 dollars work just as well for you? We’d love to know what you think, so reach out to us in the comments section down below.
- How to Unlock giffgaff iPhone in 2021 – Complete Guide - August 3, 2021
- How to Unlock Virgin Mobile iPhone in 2021 - July 21, 2021
- Unlock Three iPhone in 2021 – The Complete Guide - July 1, 2021