Are you ready to unleash your media entertainment experience by learning how to install Kodi on Roku Player right now? Here’s everything you need to know about how Roku Player works with Kodi and what you can do with it.
Less than a decade ago, cable entertainment was the most dominating form of content-viewing platform out there. What changed the game for consumers in the entertainment world is the improved internet infrastructure, which allowed users to enjoy premium quality content directly on their entertainment systems. The inception of Roku happened during the early 2000’s when founder Anthony Wood set out to establish a streaming device that was capable of broadcasting media content over a wired or a wireless (Wi-Fi) connection. For those of you who are interested in installing Kodi on FireTV, read here.
The idea of enjoying wireless entertainment in an era when Wi-Fi was barely off the runway seemed like an optimistic concept. However, a decade later the entertainment industry became heavily invested in online media consumption, all thanks to premium subscription services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Despite heavy competition from rivals such as Amazon Fire TV and Apple TV that run on a similar platform of online streaming entertainment, Roku Player has maintained a strong fan base across the globe.
Why you need Kodi on Roku Player
Back in the day when Kodi media player was created, it was meant to be an open-source platform for people to enjoy all of their entertainment services in one place. The over-the-top streaming service provided by Roku Player resonates the same message. The combination of the freedom that Kodi media player brings and the versatility that is provided by Roku Player combine to offer a surreal viewing experience every time.
From offering services like recording live TV even when you cable operator doesn’t support it, to enjoying all forms of entertainment on the big screen, Kodi media player can do it all. The inclusion of Kodi add-ons bring a slew of features along with it, which bring more capability to your Roku Player than you could imagine. Since the Kodi community is massive and actively involved in future development, you’re never left out when it comes to bringing in new features.
Can You Install Kodi on Roku Player?
Despite being an open-source entertainment platform, Kodi media player is available for almost every major streaming operating system out there. The reason you won’t find official support from the XMBC Foundation when it comes to Kodi media player support for Roku, is because it does not exist. There is no official way to install Kodi on Roku Player as of now, since it does not exist as an official app for the Roku OS.
Similar to how Apple TV operates with the closed platform of iOS, Roku OS also works the same way. Unlike Amazon Fire TV which runs on a souped-up version of Android OS (Fire OS) which allows you to sideload Kodi media player app, the same cannot be done on the Roku Player. However, the silver lining exists in the fact that you can still enjoy Kodi media player on your Roku Player by casting it from a supported device.
Why Use ExpressVPN for Movie Streaming
The problem with this movies streaming platform like Kodi are that these services are not exactly legalized. Since the copyright content is distributed freely without the approval of the production studios, watching movies and TV shows of Kodi not only lies in the legally gray area but also may not even be possible if your ISP (internet service provider) has blocked such websites. Under such circumstances, the only option that is left for you to try out is a dependable VPN service such as ExpressVPN which not only unlocks free movie streaming sites but also keeps your privacy in place.
- Since free online streaming sites may be blocked by your ISP or geo-restricted, ExpressVPN is essential in helping you change IP address and get past the limitations right away.
- ExpressVPN comes with a built-in Speed Test service which helps you predict the connection speed you can expect during your viewing session.
- Thanks to the dozens of servers that are spread across the globe, ExpressVPN is able to offer you different connections with varying Speed Index, so that you can choose the server that offers you the highest transfer speeds.
- By changing your IP address without taking a bite out of your surfing speed, ExpressVPN offers you complete anonymity when browsing the internet, keeping your ISP out of your personal business.
How to Cast Kodi on Roku Player
In an attempt to make Roku Player more inclusive of other entertainment systems out there, the company has included a feature called Screen Mirroring. Similar to how Google Cast works on Android and AirPlay functions on Apple TV devices, this feature of the Roku Player allows you to cast your Windows or Android device screen to the Roku Player, hence making it possible to view it all on the big screen.
Step 1: Enable Screen Mirroring on Roku Player
Despite being in Beta, the Screen Mirroring function for the Roku Player seems to work just fine across multiple devices. Before you can start mirroring the Kodi media player on your Windows or Android device on to your Roku Player, you need to enable the feature from the Settings of the device.
- From the Home Screen of your Roku Player, head over to the Settings
- Scroll down to find the System tab and then look for the Screen Mirroring option in there.
- Select the Enable Screen Mirroring option and make sure that there is check mark in front of it before you exit the Settings menu.
Now that you have the Screen Mirroring option enabled on your Roku Player, you can connect to it using your Android device or Windows PC and start casting Kodi media player to enjoy media streaming on the big screen.
Step 2: Add Roku Player to Windows or Android for Casting
With the Roku Player ready to accept wireless display input, you can now look for it using your Windows computer or Android smartphone or tablet.
To Cast Windows on Roku Player:
- From the home screen of your Windows computer, head over to the Settings menu and then navigate to the System
- Open the Display tab from the side menu and then look for the option that reads “Connect to a wireless display”.
- The computer will start looking for a device to cast on.
- Make sure that the Windows PC and the Roku Player are connected to the same wireless network connection.
- Once the Roku Player is detected, click on it and you will be able to see the Windows screen being casted on the Roku Player which is connected to your TV.
To Cast Android on Roku Player:
- On your Android device, head over to the Settings
- Scroll down to find the Display tab in the Settings menu.
- Here you should be able to find the Cast option or the feature for Screen Mirroring.
- Wait while the device searches for the Roku Player to begin mirroring the display of your Android device on the big screen.
Once you have the display of the Windows or Android device being mirrored on the Roku Player, you can launch the Kodi media player on the device and enjoy it on the big screen. Albeit you won’t be able to navigate through the controls using the Roku Remote, since you will need to control the Kodi media player app through your computer or your phone.
Now explore installing great builds or add ons to leverage your Roku to the fullest.
Kodi builds are a collection of AddOns that make it easy for users to install a great grouping of various add ons that support everything from movies, sports, music and other great Kodi applications.
Kodi Add-on are applications that install within the Kodi environment that offer great services like access to different types of entertainment, movies, music and more.
In a utopian world, you would want the Roku Player to be able to run Kodi media player right out of the box and even be able to use the Roku Remote with it. But since the closed-circuit design of the Roku Player does not allow installation of third-party apps and services, the only way to install Kodi on Roku Player is by using the Screen Mirroring feature.
We you able to make the most out of your wireless entertainment streamer with the help of this guide? If you’ve got any questions regarding how the Roku Player works with Kodi, just ask away in the comments section right down below.