Last Updated on July 24, 2020 by Husain Parvez
Finding a guide to unlock LG phone has been highly requested by readers online, and here’s a complete on it. Find out why you would want to unlock your LG smartphone in the first place, along with complete support to do it officially, as well as with the help of third-party services.
While the kids these days may think that the Apple iPhone is all the rage, there was a time before the iPhone era when LG once dominated with the mobile market. Not only creating a long and illustrious lineup of mobile devices before the smartphone era arrived, but LG also came on board as an Android-oriented smartphone manufacturer as soon as the mobile operating system gained traction under the mentorship of Google. Over the years LG has played a significant role in promoting Android OS to the world, backing the Nexus series for multiple iterations.
Even after the grand entry of Chinese mobile manufacturers such as Xiaomi and Huawei that have broken up the Android mobile market share, LG continues to promote its premium and mid-range series of smartphones, with a “G” series flagship, rolled out each year. Apart from selling its devices in the open market, LG has also deep-rooted connections with telecom carriers in the United States, offering subsidized mobile devices on a budget, along with pay-as-you-go premium smartphones when users choose to purchase a phone on contract.
Why Unlock LG Phone Now?
If you purchased your LG smartphone from a network carrier and not directly from the brand, chances are you might need to find out more about unlocking it. Regardless of whether you decided to get a brand new LG smartphone right from the network carrier’s outlet store, or purchased a second-hand device online, you will soon enough want to break the chains of restriction and maximize the usability of your smartphone. Even if the contract has expired and you have paid for the mobile phone in full, you could still be restricted to just one network carrier, and there are plenty of reasons why that isn’t such a good idea.
Cheaper mobile plans and deals on network carriers:
You may have decided to go with a specific network operator to enjoy the benefits it offers when buying yourself the LG phone. However, you will soon have the realization that although you the saving on getting into a contract for the LG phone saved you a decent amount at the beginning, you will surely end up spending more money than what the LG phone is actually worth in the long run.
Owing to the largely growing competition between the different network carriers, you will always be able to find a cheaper tariff plan, saving you hundreds of dollars annually and brings in more value than the network carrier you’re currently subscribed to. Once you get the LG mobile phone unlocked, there’s a chance to make the most out of the cheaper pricing plans network operators are eager to offer you.
Use the phone abroad:
Whether it is your line of work that requires you to travel out of the country often, or you are planning a long trip overseas soon enough, you’re going to require to stay connected with friends, family, and work, back home. Although your currently subscribed network carrier most likely provides its customers with international roaming services, these international roaming fares can be quite expensive and also restrictive at times, especially when it comes to data usage and allowed calling minutes.
By purchasing yourself a local SIM card of the region you’re in is the best way to save big on roaming charges, but you will need a cellular unlocked LG phone for it to work. Using a local SIM card would not only allow you to bring down your communication expenses significantly but also allows you to be always connected to your loved ones back home, without compromising on the services offered.
Unlocked phones sell for more:
Compared to most of the network locked Android smartphones out there that tend to depreciate in value over time, you will always be able to fetch a higher price for a mobile phone that is network unlocked. If you had to a used mobile phone, would you not prefer to get a smartphone that is allowed to operate on any SIM card? Hence, if you wish to get bang for your buck, having it unlocked gets you the best price for the mobile when you choose to part with it.
Even if you plan to stick to your LG mobile phone for years to come and don’t mind sticking with the mobile network carrier that you purchased the device from, considering the resale value of the phone is essential. The small expense of mobile SIM unlocking can possibly increase the value of your LG mobile phone by hundreds of dollars, should be worth the investment under any circumstances.
How to Unlock LG Phone
Speaking of the basics, the ability to unlock your LG smartphone, and the network carriers that are able to operate, work on the core network design of the device itself. Based on whether the phone is CDMA or GSM network-based, it will help you determine the benefits of getting it unlocked. However, it is important to remember that CDMA phones work only on CDMA networks, just the way GSM networks are able to support only GSM enabled mobile devices. It is important that you confirm the network configuration of your LG phone before you proceed with the unlocking process.
Step-by-Step Unlocking Process
Step 1 – Write down the IMEI number of your iPhone 11 which will be used by the service provider for the unlocking process.
- Head to the Phone app on the LG phone and type in *#06#*
- This should bring up the IMEI Number of your phone.
- You can also find the IMEI number by navigating to the Settings – General – About menu and scroll down to view the IMEI Number.
Step 2 – Enter the IMEI number into the SIM unlock service provider and proceed with the payment after confirming your device and the network service provider.
Step 3 – Depending on the device and network carrier, the LG phone will be unlocked and you can proceed further to use any SIM card with it.
Method 1: Official network carrier unlock
No matter how suppressive telecom organizations may be, they cannot command the rules of what you can and cannot do with your phone, especially when you’ve paid for it in full. Thanks to the consumer protection laws in place all around the world, network operators are instructed to allow unlocking of mobile phones that sold under the contract upon application from the customers.
Based on the mobile operator and the terms and conditions that have been put down in the agreement, you are expected to keep the mobile phone locked down to its original service network for a decided period of time. The time period extends from around six months to 1 year, after which you are permitted to ask for an unlocking request to the carrier.
The network unlocking service provided by the telecom companies is free of charge when you buy the device under a prepaid agreement. However, if you are subscribed to a pay-as-you-go plan and are repaying the LG Phone in installments, you will be asked to clear all outstanding payments due, before you can continue with the unlocking request. Either way, you cannot advance with the unlocking procedure officially before a definite time period has elapsed.
- The network carriers provide the SIM unlock code at no extra cost at all.
- The official unlocking code from the network carrier is guaranteed to work.
- It is mandatory to wait for a period that can sometimes last up to a year if you want to have your LG device unlocked, even when there are no outstanding payments.
- Fetching the unlock code from the network operators after submitting a request could take weeks at a stretch, depending on the network carrier and region.
- The process of SIM unlocking is prolonged and more tedious if the phone was reported lost or stolen previously.
- The telecom company enjoys complete control over the network unlocking process, and may not qualify the device for unlocking under certain circumstances.
Method 2: Third-party unlocking service providers
While the ability to contact the network company and fetching the official unlock LG phone code may be a possibility for some, but for most of us, the process can be too long and tedious. Additionally, if you aren’t the owner of a new device, you don’t have access to the network unlocking service offered by the telecom carrier if the phone wasn’t purchased under your name.
Under such circumstances, the only hope is the presence of third-party unlocking services that can allow you to unlock LG phone in less time. The hassle-free process of providing the required information and low-cost unlocking services have helped SIM unlock service providers soar in popularity all over the world.
- You can request a SIM unlock code no matter when you purchased your device, as long as it is a verified purchase.
- Most of the dependable SIM unlock services in the market deliver a working unlock code with a 95% and higher success rate.
- Based on the unlocking service provider you pick, you would be able to select your LG phone model and its specific operator from a long list.
- Within 24 to 48 hours of submission of a request for unlocking, you can expect a working unlock code delivered to the registered email address.
- Some of the Cheaper SIM unlocking services have been known to send out disingenuous unlocking codes. This can become a hassle since some network operators restrict the option to try unlocking codes just 3 times.
Best Third-Party LG Phone Unlocking Services
Since we don’t want you to be running around trying to pick the best SIM unlocking service out there for your LG phone, we’re here to help. To have a conclusive result as possible, we’ve tested each and every one of the SIM unlock services based on the following criteria:
Device support – The first and foremost factor to consider is whether the service even supports unlocking the iPhone 11 and its variants in the first place. You don’t want to make the payment and wait in hopes to get a working unlock code, just to find out that the service does not support the iPhone 11 and the network carrier it is locked to.
Complete range of services – The entire point to unlock LG phone in the first place is to unleash the capability of the device to work with any carrier all across the world. If you end up getting your device locked instantly, but are still restricted to a specific region or only a handful of network carriers, then it isn’t really freedom after all.
Price factor – While the process of unlocking your iPhone and the cost associated with it isn’t a recurring one, you still need to consider the price tag it comes with. Since you’ve already spent hundreds of dollars on the device itself, we’ve kept a close watch to ensure that you aren’t spending a dime more than what’s required.
Customer service quality – While ideally, you’d want to barely have to get in touch with the customer service representatives, but in case you do have to, you want the ones who put you first every time. Whether it is the response time on the queries, the support offered once the payment is made, or the after-sales response, we have taken all of it into account.
Accepted payment methods – Despite the rapid growth of online businesses and service providers, you’ll often end up with a payment gateway that makes you scratch your head. We’ve made sure to include only the SIM unlocking service providers on the list that support all major credit cards and debit cards, with simple and direct payment channels in place.
Speed of service – Slow and steady may win the race, but when it comes to the ideal SIM unlocking service provider, we have picked only the ones that are fast and consistent. Only the ones that offer a high success rate in record time delivery of the unlock code have been added to the final list.
Our Top Picks to Unlock LG Phone
After days spent finding the top SIM unlock service providers in the market, a prolonged back and forth with the shortlisted choices, and days of testing on almost a dozen LG devices, here’s a list of the top two that it has all boiled down to:
IMEIDoctor – Preferred choice in the USA and the UK
The reason we’ve got our hearts stuck on IMEIDoctor in the competition to be the best service provider to unlock LG phone can’t be put simply in a single statement. With thousands of 5-star feedback ratings from users and years of experience in the IMEI unlocking business, IMEIDoctor stands tall, shadowing all the contenders for the top spot. Whether it was the unmatched success rate that we enjoyed with the devices tested or the prompt support we received, it was an ideal experience from a customer’s standpoint.
- In comparison to all of the other service providers we put to test in this experiment, IMEIDoctor was the only one to come back with a 100% success rate.
- When reaching out to the customer support team, we were never left waiting without a response. In fact, the average response time for every message sent out was 45 minutes to 2 hours, which is impressive by any measures.
- On average, the service provider was around 10% – 20% cheaper in comparison to the other top names in the market. This gives IMEIDoctor a leading-edge since it is backed up with a straightforward refund policy as well.
- Although it is difficult to pinpoint any major flaw in the way this service provider operates, if had to find one, the lack of choice when it comes to new network carriers in the USA and the UK was one downside.
DirectUnlocks – Best for users outside of North America and the UK
We may have chosen a winner, but the fight for the top spot wasn’t easy, and neither was the choice that we had to make. DirectUnlocks matched its competitor in every way and met the standards of quality, but where it could not live up was the 100% success rate that the latter offered in our conducting experiment. Putting customers first and being backed by a bunch of raving reviews from satisfied customers leads us to believe that the unlocking service is revered by its clients all over.
- The instructions were easy to understand, and with a minimal amount of time consumed, the activation code was delivered within 48 hours.
- The customer support was responsive, helped out with the process every step along the way, and continued to do so during the post-payment process.
- The pricing was fair and on par with the competition, and for each of the failed transactions, refunds by DirectUnlocks were made promptly.
- Despite a decent overall service and affordable pricing structure, the success rate was 3 out of 3 devices (75%), which may not be the worst, but certainly isn’t the best either.
Spending days and weeks going through the vast spans of the internet in search of the best of the best when it comes to the SIM unlocking service field, we found the right solutions. With successful unlocking requests completed multiple times across different LG devices, it has led us to believe that when it comes to unlocking mobile phones in general, IMEIDoctor is at the top of the food chain. If it weren’t for the 100% success rate that it delivers, the closest competition DirectUnlocks would be tied with it.
Which of the SIM unlocking services are you going to side with to get the best from LG unlocked? Would you rather take your chances with a cheap SIM unlocking service provider and see how it goes? Be sure to share your thoughts in the comments right down below, we’d love to hear back from you.
- How to Unlock giffgaff iPhone in 2021 – Complete Guide - August 3, 2021
- How to Unlock Virgin Mobile iPhone in 2021 - July 21, 2021
- Unlock Three iPhone in 2021 – The Complete Guide - July 1, 2021