Last Updated on November 12, 2019 by Husain Parvez
We are living in a digital age when everyone is online. Sadly, a lot of people still don’t understand the importance of privacy and security when they are online. On the other hand, some are aware of this but don’t want to spend their money on security.
But have you wondered, are there free VPNs? Of course, given the fact that they are free, they have certain limitations. Still, is there a good free VPN with decent performance? Let’s start with some reviews of the best free VPNs. You can also check out VPNlab for more VPN reviews
Windscribe is a free VPN that also comes with a premium option. Below we’re going to give you some of the critical details of their free offer. Bear in mind that their premium version only upgrades all of these things.
- 10 GB bandwidth per month
- 256 bits AES
- OpenVPN tunneling
- Solid speed
- 11 servers for accessing 110 different locations
- Free option
- Premium option: $4 monthly payment
- Works on most devices
- Supports all the major platforms
- Allows torrents
- Quality encryption
- No leaks
- Can be used on multiple platforms and devices
- Live chat support isn’t 24/7 available
- Based in Canada
Hotspots Shield comes with a free version as well that includes ads. The ads are there to make up for the excellent free service that they provide. How to get a VPN free? The Hotspot Shield Free can be downloaded and doesn’t require a subscription or an account.
- 500 MB daily bandwidth
- Only a single virtual location (United States)
- Data encryption
- Free version
- Premium version: $12.99 per month / 12 months – $7.99 per month/ 36 months – $2.99 per month
- Best free VPN for windows
- Easy to use
- Has a free trial
- A lot of server diversity
- Best free VPM for streaming movies
- A bit more expensive unless you take the longer subscription
- Customer support is sometimes unreliable
Hide.me is one of the rare VPNs that has a top-tier free option. On top of that, it offers several paid plans as well with a 30-day refund.
- 2 GB monthly bandwidth limit
- Free anonymous proxy browser
- No ads
- Customer support
- Free version
- Paid options: 1 month – $14.95 monthly/ 1 year – $9.99 monthly/ 2 years – $5.41 monthly
- Offers advanced features
- Allows 10 connections at the same time
- A good number of servers
- Nice speed
- Doesn’t have specialized servers
- A bit expensive
What you need to know when choosing a free VPN
There are three important things you need to consider. First of all, look at the business model the free VPN provider is using. A lot of free VPN providers use your data to make money, and you don’t want anyone to compromise your privacy.
In the end, make sure to do a background check of a company. See where they are based, who is behind the organization, laws they comply with, and whether they’re transparent.
Why you should get a free VPN
A VPN hides your IP address to protect your data while giving you access to all the content. When browsing the web, the information you send and receive can be intercepted by someone. You need to make sure this doesn’t happen.
Hackers can steal your sensitive information like IP address, location, credit card information, browsing history, and so on. A VPN protects you from this and allows you to access restricted sites, browse anonymously, stop bandwidth throttling, improve torrenting, and much more.
Free VPN benefits
Free VPNs are best for individuals that want to access the site or online information that is blocked from them. Put, they can change their IP addresses and seem like they are from other countries. Some general benefits of free VPNs include:
- Better access to apps and information
- Improved Wi-fi security
- Geo-restriction bypass
- Protect login credentials
- Use your home services when in a foreign country
- More privacy and anonymity
- Protection against malware
Free VPN restrictions and limitations
Like with any other service, the free options often have limitations compared to paid ones. For example, you will rarely find a free VPN with unlimited data.
However, there is a right way of seeing how VPNs work and check out all the options before switching to premium. Here are some of the limitations that free VPNs might have:
- Download data cap
- Bandwidth limitation
- Limited server location access
- Restrictions to which services you can use
- No or limited customer support
Can I use a free VPN for streaming?
If the provider offers this feature, of course, but not many free VPNs give you this option. The reason is quite simple; streaming requires a lot of speed and a lot of servers. Not many providers are willing to provide you with quality streaming options like Netflix.
Is free VPN good for torrenting?
All free VPNs have limitations. These limitations make peer-to-peer downloading a lot slower. It means that free VPNs aren’t good for torrenting. You use them to download torrents, but you will waste a lot of time.
Can I use a free VPN to bypass censorship?
Yes, of course, this is why most people use free VPNs. However, things aren’t that simple because there are different levels of censorship and restrictions.
For example, if you are located in a high-risk country like China, and you want to visit a strictly forbidden site, you might need a premium VPN with a better encryption protocol.
Should I get a home VPN?
In case you are worried about the safety of your online data, or you don’t want your internet service provider to see everything you are doing online, getting a home VPN is a good idea.
What is the difference between VPN and Proxy?
Both proxy and VPN can unblock locked content. However, only a VPN can improve online privacy and bring more security.
Should I use a free VPN or Tor?
In general, Tor gives you better anonymity than any free VPN. The only reason to use a free VPN is if the site you want to access is locked for Tor users. On the other hand, there are premium VPNs today that can match Tor’s capabilities.
We hope this guide has helped you understand VPNs and how they work. Try out the free versions and see for yourself how these services work and whether they are worth the money.
- Slow Internet on Your Phone? Here’s How You Can Fix That - September 20, 2021
- Find A Great Laptop That’ll Suit You With The Help Of This Buying Guide - August 17, 2021
- How to Protect Your Secret Data on GitHub - August 12, 2021