Need to learn how to find IMEI number without phone turning on or even being available for you to see? Here’s a guide on why you would need to find out the IMEI number in the first place, and how you can do it using these easy steps.
Ever since mobile phones became the standard for communication in the modern age, the nuisance of mobile theft has been a boulder for many. While early mobile devices did not hold any significant information, apart from contacts and text messages, the smartphones we carry around today, are packed with just a world of features, but our entire lives too. Everything from your personal messages and social media accounts, to the banking information and important work-related documents, are stored on mobile phones today, which makes them a prime target for theft and cyberattacks.
As a means to deter theft and misuse of lost mobile devices for criminal activities, the generally recognized technology of IMEI has been introduced. The International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) was created as a unique set of numbers that is assigned to individual mobile devices, allowing network carriers, and even federal authorities to identify them when lost or stolen. The 15-digit code assigned to the GSM phones is meant to be an identifier, and while it may not always help you fetch your mobile phone back, it can certainly ensure that, if stolen, the perpetrator cannot use it anymore.
How to Find IMEI Number Without Phone Turning On
The way the IMEI number is designed is similar to the social security number that all Americans are given. It not only helps identify the device among the billions out there but gives the federal authorities access to block the phone carrying the IMEI number if found to be either lost or stolen. This ensures that during the unfortunate event when you are no longer in possession of your phone, you can still keep the data on it safe and out of the reach of the thief. However, the IMEI number can also be useful if you’re trying to network unlock your mobile phone and wish to use it across different network operators.
Generally speaking, finding out the IMEI number of your phone does not take too much effort, since you can dial *#06# in the phone dialer and view the 15-digit code right away. However, you might not always have access to the mobile device dialer screen to find out the IMEI number. Under worst circumstances, you might have lost your mobile phone, and there may be no way to access the IMEI number and have the device blacklisted by the network carrier. If you wish to learn how to find IMEI number without phone or even without turning it on, there are a few tricks for you to try out.
Method #1 – Look on the Phone
Older mobile devices that had a removable battery pack also offered an easy way of finding out the IMEI number. By simply removing the battery, you can find the IMEI number printed on the back of the device, which makes easy to identify without even turning on the device. Similarly, the early generation iPhones such as the original iPhone, iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, and the iPhone 5S, all come with the IMEI number printed on the back. Additionally, all of the latest iPhones come with the IMEI number printed on the SIM card slot, so all you need to do is remove the slot, turn it over and view the 15-digit code printed on it.
Method #2 – Look on the Box
You may have lost access to your mobile phone, but there’s a way to learn how to find IMEI number without phone as long as you have access to the box packaging that the phone came in. Every major smartphone manufacturer provides the IMEI code of their product right on the packaging itself, which is usually present as a sticker on the side or at the bottom of the box. To fetch the IMEI code of your phone without physically having it, look for a sticker with a barcode on it, which should give you the 15-digit IMEI code of the device, along with the serial number that the manufacturer has assigned to it.
Method #3 – Using Google Find My Device (Android)
The very reason Google created the Find My Device platform is to not only help users locate their Android phones and tablets in the local premises, but also to track the location of a stolen phone. Additionally, users are also able to completely erase their devices remotely and even find out the IMEI code of the devices associated with the account, if you know the right place to look.
- Head over to the Google Find My Device
- Log in using the Google account associated with your Android device.
- On the top-left side of the screen, you will be able to see all of the devices logged into the Google account.
- Select the device you wish to find the IMEI number of and press the “i” button right next to it.
- You will be able to view the IMEI number associated with the Android device on the screen itself.
Method #4 – Using Find My iPhone (iOS)
Similar to the way Google had created its very own device tracking app, so has Apple, which allows you to view the current location of your iOS devices, and perform different functions, ranging from ringing a tone to locate it, to completely wiping it and locking it down, preventing anyone else from using it.
- Head over to the Apple ID website from a browser.
- Log in using the Apple account associated with your iOS device.
- Under the Devices section, you will be able to see all of the devices logged into the Apple account.
- Find the iOS device you wish to find the IMEI number of and select it.
- You will be able to view the IMEI number associated with the iOS device on the screen itself.
Using the IMEI Number to Network Unlock Phone
One of the reasons that users wish to learn how to find IMEI number without phone turning on, is when they wish to get it carrier unlocked. Whether you bought the device under a contract from the network operator or purchased a used mobile phone that came locked down to a network service that you don’t prefer, getting the device unlocked is the only way out. Being customers and reviewers of networking unlocking services, we’ve had our fair share of experience when it comes to unlocking mobile devices, and here is our top pick for the job.
IMEIDoctor – Preferred choice for users in the USA and the UK
The reason we’ve got our hearts stuck on IMEIDoctor in the competition to be the best service provider for unlocking Android and iPhone can’t be put simply in a single statement. With thousands of 5-star feedback rating from users and years of experience in the IMEI unlocking business, IMEIDoctor stands tall, shadowing all the contenders for the top spot. Whether it was the unmatched success rate that we enjoyed with the devices tested or the prompt support we received, it was an ideal experience from a customer’s standpoint.
- In comparison to all of the other service providers we put to test in this experiment, IMEIDoctor was the only one to come back with a 100% success rate.
- When reaching out to the customer support team, we were never left waiting without a response. In fact, the average response time for every message sent out was 45 minutes to 2 hours, which is impressive by any measures.
- On average, the service provider was around 10% – 20% cheaper in comparison to the other top names in the market. This gives IMEIDoctor a leading-edge since it is backed up with a straightforward refund policy as well.
DirectUnlocks – Best outside North America and the UK
We may have chosen a winner, but the fight for the top spot wasn’t easy, and neither was the choice that we had to make. DirectUnlocks matched its competitor in every way and met the standards of quality, but where it could not live up was the 100% success rate that the latter offered in our conducting experiment. Putting customers first and being backed by a bunch of raving reviews from satisfied customers leads us to believe that the unlocking service is revered by its clients all over.
- The instructions were easy to understand, and with a minimal amount of time consumed, the activation code was delivered within 48 hours.
- The customer support was responsive, helped out with the process every step along the way, and continued to do so during the post-payment process.
- The pricing was fair and on par with the competition, and for each of the failed transactions, refunds by DirectUnlocks were made promptly.
The mobile phone industry has faced several ups and downs over the years, with the biggest names in the business biting the dust, and competitors from the Far East rising to prominence. However, one factor among all of these older and brand new cutting-edge smartphones remains the same – IMEI number. Branded as a fingerprint for your mobile phone by which it is identified by the network operators, this 15-digit code is designed not to be just a theft deterrent but also allows you to unlock your phone to several other network service providers all across the globe.
Did you successfully understand how to find IMEI number without phone without the device physically being available to you? If you are looking to get your smartphone unlocked, which service are you going to opt for among the choices listed above, and why? We’d love to hear back from you, so reach out to us in the comments section down below.
- Best Over Ear Headphones for iPhone to Buy in 2020 - August 9, 2020
- How to Fix iPhone not Showing up on PC - August 4, 2020
- Rumors: Apple Gaming Console, iPhone 12 Leaks – Here’s Everything - July 29, 2020