Last Updated on June 30, 2020 by Jay
You might just need to clear cache Kodi media player cannot keep stored up anymore to improve the performance of the application. Here’s why you should flush out the cache files from Kodi every now and then, and how you can do it on any Kodi-supported device the easy way.
Kodi media player has become the industry standard in media entertainment, allowing users to compile all of their media files in a single place for easy viewing. Apart from being a versatile media player platform that is available across several devices, including Windows, Mac OS X, Android, iOS, and several others, Kodi is known for the thousands of Kodi add-ons that are available for it. What makes these Kodi add-ons so valuable to the users, is the fact that, just like mobile apps, these add-ons impart a world of new features to Kodi media player.
Whether it is the regular and prolonged usage of Kodi, installation of old and outdated Kodi add-ons, or simply the fact that you haven’t gotten rid of media files in a while, all of these factors can come together to rust up the system. You might start experiences stutter and lag during media playback, or the Kodi app may just crash entirely when you try to launch it. Either of these problems can put a dent in your media entertainment experience, so you might find yourself needing to clear cache Kodi has accumulated over time.
Why Clear Cache Kodi is Hoarding?
After you’ve understood to install Kodi and enjoyed the freedom that it offers by composing all of your entertainment content in one place, there can be certain unwanted results too. Once in every few months or after a year of using Kodi has passed, you may find that some of your regular Kodi add-ons don’t function the way they once did, or fail to launch entirely. Even restarting the Kodi media player app or updating the add-on will not always resolve the problem, especially when you’re running the latest version of Kodi already. Clear cache Kodi has accumulated over time may become necessary to:
- Improve the performance of the system and make sure that all of the supported media formats can be played using Kodi in a smooth manner.
- To install new Kodi add-ons and repositories, it might become essential to get rid of the broken and temporary files that the app has stored from older installs and content downloads.
- Stored cache data of Kodi, if not clear for a long time, can eat up gigabytes worth of storage space on the system that you install it on. This can especially become a problem if you have the Kodi media player installed on a portable device such as your Android or the iPhone.
Unlike most mobile phone apps and services out there, the Kodi media player does not offer a way to clear the cache of the system automatically. Hence, you need to take the manual route when it comes to clearing the cache of the Kodi media player.
How to Clear Cache Kodi App has Collected
Now that you’ve understood why it is necessary to clear out all of the cache data and files stored up by Kodi, it’s time to learn how to do the process. Out of all the devices that support Kodi media player, the only operating system that allows you to clear the app cache through the system itself is Android OS. Before we get started with the complicated process of clearing the cache of Kodi in general, let’s start off with the easy guide to do so for those of us who run Kodi on Android.
- Head over to the Settings app on your Android device.
- In the Settings menu, scroll down to find the Apps
- On some devices, the Apps section may be listed under the Storage
- From the list of apps installed on your device, navigate to the Kodi
- Tap on the Kodi app icon and then press the “Clear cache” button.
For the rest of us who are running the Kodi media player on non-Android devices, clearing the cache of the app requires installing a third-party Kodi repository called SuperRepo. It is among the most popular community-created Kodi repositories out there, which includes a specific add-on called the Merlin Wizard. Apart from enabling you to clear cache Kodi has racked up over time, the add-on also gives you the ability to delete add-on packages, and also clear out thumbnails of the content that has been collected all this while.
Step 1: Enable Unknown Sources for the Kodi Netflix add-on.
Before you can install an unofficial add-on to your Kodi media player, you need to ensure that the Unknown Sources feature has been enabled from the Settings menu in the app.
- Launch the Kodi app on your computer or mobile phone. If you don’t have the Kodi app installed already, download it from the official website.
- In the Kodi app, open the Settings icon on the top-left corner of the screen.
- Navigate to System Settings – Expert Mode – Add-ons
- Find and open the Unknown Sources tab and enable its toggle switch.
Once you have the Unknown Sources feature enabled, you can go ahead and install the Indigo add-on for Kodi.
Step 2: Install SuperRepo for Kodi
- Launch Kodi media player and head over to the Settings
- Select the File Manager tab and click on the Add Source
- In the field that says “Enter the paths of browse for media locations”, select “<None>” option on the screen.
- Enter the URL http://srp.nu/ and press the OK button.
- Enter the name for the repo and click the OK button.
- Head back to the main menu and select the Add-ons button.
- Select the Add-on Package Installer icon and click on Install from ZIP file button.
- Find the repo name SuperRepo Repositories and click on it.
- Click on the SuperRepo All [Krypton][v7] file name in the folder and wait while it is being installed.
- Select the Install button to continue and wait while the SuperRepo repository is added to Kodi.
Within a few minutes, the SuperRepo Kodi add-on will be installed to your system and you will be notified with a message box on the top-right corner of the screen.
Step 3: Install the Merlin Wizard Kodi Add-on
- With the SuperRepo installed, head to the Add-ons tab in the Kodi app.
- Navigate to the Program add-ons tab and scroll down to find the Merlin Wizard add-on on the screen.
- Open the Merlin Wizard add-on and press the Install button to get started.
- Once the add-on is installed, press the Open button to launch the add-on.
- Open the Tool Box tab that you see on the top menu of the screen.
- Here you will be able to see the Clear Cache Give the add-on some time to calculate the amount of cached data, which will be displayed right under the button.
- Press the Clear Cache button to flush out the files, and follow it by using the Delete Packages and Delete Thumbnails button for good measure.
When you clear the thumbnails, it will cause the Kodi app to force close, so do keep that in mind. You can then launch the Kodi media player app once again to see if the usability issued has been resolved after you clear cache Kodi was hoarding all this while.
Kodi + ExpressVPN = Entertainment Unlimited
Similar to the way Kodi cannot be shut down but the best Kodi add-ons can, the Indigo Kodi add-on is also safeguarded in most cases, but piracy protection laws do limit its usage. Whether you choose to stick with Kodi for all your entertainment pleasure or want to venture out with its add-ons, you need a VPN service such as ExpressVPN to keep your browsing experience optimal at all times.
Unlock entertainment content – For those who just want to take a look at the catalog of movies and TV shows that Netflix offers outside of your country of residence, or wish to try out services such as BBC iPlayer which is not available to residents outside of the UK, enabling ExpressVPN grants you access to a world of entertainment that you are yet to discover.
ExpressVPN on all devices – Whether you want to set up the VPN service on your mobile phone to make VOIP calls and go under the detection radar, or wish to unlock the power of Kodi with ExpressVPN, there’s an app to do it. You get support for all of the popular platforms such as Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, iOS, Android, and even VPN-enabled routers.
Keeping you secure – To keep your online activities private and away from the prying eyes of your ISP, the government, and especially hackers, ExpressVPN has the highly strengthened 256-bit encryption in place. Since your IP address is hidden, your location and your identity are also safeguarded for complete anonymity.
Over the years, XBMC has received tremendous support from the community, which has not only kept the media player platform breathing but thriving instead. In all fairness, most newbie users will hardly even find the need to clear cache Kodi accumulates over time, but if you ever need to, its good to know that a tool such as Merlin Wizard is here to help. Apart from just clearing the cache, you can use this versatile Kodi maintenance add-on to create a backup of your profile and then restore it later. This ensures that if you choose to upgrade your system or install Kodi on another system, it’s effortlessly easy to migrate in no time.
Are you among the Android users who are able to dump the cache files of the Kodi app the easy way by using the system settings, or did you have to get Merlin Wizard to assist you with it the traditional way? If there’s anything you need to help understand how to clear the cache of Kodi media player, just ask for help in the comments section.
- How to Unlock giffgaff iPhone in 2021 – Complete Guide - August 3, 2021
- How to Unlock Virgin Mobile iPhone in 2021 - July 21, 2021
- Unlock Three iPhone in 2021 – The Complete Guide - July 1, 2021