Last Updated on May 8, 2019 by Husain Parvez
Trying to keep the online content on lockdown by learning how to block websites on Android phone and tablet? Here’s why it’s necessary and our complete guide on how you can do it in more than just one way.
The beauty of the World Wide Web is that it is virtually infinite and packed with a world of possibilities. The access to information of all sorts, from the history of the Mayan Civilization, to the latest and greatest in upcoming technology – the internet offers us an insight into everything there is to know about the world that we live in. Thanks to the rapid boost in infrastructure and the boost in wireless communication on a global scale, there are billions of internet users across the globe who are always connected.
But with all of the noteworthy aspects of the internet that have made it an evolutionary phenomenon, there also comes the dark side of the World Wide Web. With millions of websites up on the web already and thousands being created every single day, managing the content that viewers have access to, especially the young minds, can always be a hassle. This is why there has been a sharp increase in the need to learn how to block websites on Android, especially since a large chunk of unfiltered internet usage comes from mobile phones and tablets.
Why is There a Need to Block Websites?
While no one side the world is fighting for net neutrality and the usage of VPN services like ExpressVPN is on the rise, restricting access to certain websites may seem oppressive. However, in some scenarios, especially pertaining young viewers, restricting access to the internet and learning how to block websites on Android phones and tablets, is a necessary evil.
Adult content – There is no denying the fact that pornography makes up for a sizeable chunk of the internet traffic across the world. Regardless of your religious or moral beliefs on the subject, scientific studies do suggest that overexposure to sensitive content in children can negatively impact their behavior, which is all the more reason to have some sort of parental protection in place online.
Online Scams – The “Nigerian Prince” emailing you for money, or a specific website asking you for your credit card details is never a soothing sight. You don’t have to be a child to fall for an internet scam, but what can be done is blocking out these websites and the malicious intent that they are marketed with.
Malware and Virus – Whether it was through a shady torrent website or through a suspicious file that a website automatically downloaded on to your computer system, the internet is home to all sorts of Adware, Trojans, and other viruses. By blocking repeat offenders, you can keep a check on the health of the computer for good.
Why an Ad-Blocker isn’t the Fix
For as long as pesky ads have been on the internet, so has one or the other ad-blocker service to keep your browsing experience ad-free. However, when you compare ad-blocking to blocking websites, it’s not the same thing because although more ad-ridden websites may be worth blocking, you can still view the content offered by those websites. By understanding how to block a website, you can choose to completely eliminate any possibility other users, especially the young ones, you can cut the cord and bar access to the web portal entirely.
How to Block Websites on Android Phone and Tablet
Now that you’ve realized the importance of filtering out the content on your mobile phone and tablet, especially when there are young ones who are grabbing a hold of it every now and then, let’s discover the different ways by which you can actually block websites.
Method 1: Use BlockSite
This app that is designed to not only keep some of the malicious websites away but also help you curb your usage of social media and specific apps. BlockSite helps you stay productive by restricting access to the website URLs that you have blacklisted, and even set up scheduled timers for when you can use certain apps.
- Download and install the BlockSite app from the Google Play Store (Download Link).
- Head over to the Settings app to grant BlockSite Accessibility Permission.
- Press on the “+” icon in the bottom right corner to add a Website or an App to the block list.
- Type in the URL of the website you wish to block and press the checkmark icon in the top-right corner to confirm your action.
- Once you have added the website to the block list, you will be unable to access it from the browser.
- You will be able to see a banner in front of the screen which mentions that “This site is blocked by BlockSite”.
Apart from blocking specific websites, you can even limit the access to the apps that are installed on your Android phone or tablet. By setting up a scheduled timer, the BlockSite app can dictate at what time you, or others can use a certain app on the device.
Method 2: Use Firefox Browser
Google Chrome browser may be the undisputed champion when it comes to browsers, but when it comes to the mobile version, it falls behind. For instance, the is no solution on how to block websites on Android phone or tablet using the native Google Chrome app. However, thanks to the widespread support, Firefox for Android has included an add-on which brings this functionality to your device.
- Go ahead and access the Google Play Store to download and install the Firefox Browser app (Download Link).
- Open the app in and type “about:addons” in the URL bar to look for the Firefox add-ons available.
- Tap on Browse all Firefox Add-ons and then type in Block Site in the search bar right on top of the page.
- Press + Add to Firefox button and confirm your action to download and install it by selecting the Add
- Now head back to the Add-ons screen to find the newly installed Block Site add-on available for use.
- Type in the URL that you wish to block in the empty space and press the “+” icon to confirm your action.
- The URL will now be added to the “List of blocked domains”.
- Now every time you try to access the blocked website from the Firefox Browser app, it will give you the error “This site can’t be reached”.
Apart from the apps that have been highlighted above, you can also make sure of security apps such as NoRoot Firewall to block access to certain websites. By simply adding the host name or the domain name of a website, you can ensure that there’s no way to open the specific website from any browser on the mobile phone or tablet.
The internet is meant to be a lot more than just a place to enjoy social media and waste hours streaming content on YouTube. Whether you’re a parent trying to keep certain addictive or malicious websites out of reach, or just want to instill some self-discipline by learning how to block websites on Android for your own good, the two methods highlighted above are a sure shot way to do it. If you have any better tools which can be used to block websites, or need help with the ones we’ve mentioned, just hit us up in the comments section and we’ll be sure to respond back soon.