Last Updated on September 5, 2019 by Husain Parvez
Looking on how to change Netflix region? It’s actually a very easy thing to do. You just need to know how. This guide shouldn’t take any more than 10 minutes to follow, so, keep on reading!
Why? Well, for those of you who don’t know, due to licensing issues, Netflix is not allowed to display all movies and shows universally. Some of them are geo-blocked. For example, “The Office”, which is a very popular show, isn’t available to watch in numerous parts of Europe.
Depending on your region, there is a chance that more than 50% of Netflix’s library is unavailable to watch. So, without any further ado, here’s how to bypass these kinds of restrictions!
1: Choose A Reliable VPN
The easiest and most effective way of changing our Netflix region is by using a VPN (Virtual Private Network). VPNs can be installed as any other software on your device and offer an additional layer of security/privacy while using them.
However, the reason that we truly need one in this particular case is because they also give us the ability to “Disguise” ourselves. A VPN can fool websites; including Netflix; into thinking that you’re browsing from another place in the world.
This feature is extremely useful for bypassing geo-blocked websites and content like movies and shows on Netflix. That being said, this is why our first and most important step of changing our Netflix region is choosing a good VPN.
Normally, a Google search would be more than enough to find a VPN. However, there are tons of them to choose from. So, finding the ideal candidate can become a bit of a pain; which is why we’re here to help you out.
Things to Consider When Choosing A VPN
Most paid VPN apps will work just fine for most applications. But, when it comes to using one for Netflix? Let’s just say that your choice needs to meet some criteria:
- Ideally, you want the best bang for your buck: Pretty obvious. Nobody wants to spend more money than needed
- Needs to be able to bypass Netflix’s detection system: Netflix has an algorithm which detects if you’re using a VPN or not. You want something that can bypass that
- Speed: Streaming high-quality videos is one of the most bandwidth-intensive tasks that one can do. Having a VPN that’s fast enough to stream movies or shows is an absolute requirement
- Security and reliability: Using a VPN means that the user is switching from trusting his data to his ISP (Internet Service Provider) over to the VPN provider. So, make sure to choose someone who will surely not sell that data to 3rd parties
- Available locations: Most VPN apps allow you to choose from a plethora of virtual locations. Make sure that you can get as many as possible
- Cross-platform support: Most of us use at least a phone and a computer. If you’re intending on using the VPN for multiple devices, then pick one that supports multiple platforms (Android, Windows, iOS, Mac, etc)
With all of that being said, we think that Express VPN is a very solid option. It starts at 6.5 euros per month, works with Netflix while also offering the necessary speeds for streaming, and it’s also known as one of the most reliable choices out there.
It’s available for Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, and Linux and gives you a ton of regions to choose from. Overall, it’s a solid choice. Still, if you don’t like it, feel free to make your own choice.
2: Setup The VPN
At this point, you hopefully understand what a VPN does and why we need it for this to work. So, after choosing a VPN, you need to set it up in order for it work with Netflix.
Guides are usually not necessary for such simple things, but here’s how to do it anyway:
- Download and install your VPN from its official website
- Select the region of your preference
- Wait for the connection to establish
- And that’s it
The process may slightly differ from VPN to VPN. But, generally, it’s as simple as opening the app and choosing a specific region to connect to.
When it comes to Netflix, the best choice is usually the US. Still, make your own research on that. If you Google search a show and it shows up on Netflix but you still can’t see it, then chances are that you’re still geo-blocked.
If that happens, just make a Google search, see which regions have access to the show or movie that you are after, and switch to that server with your VPN.
Can I Use My Netflix Account Overseas?
Yes, you absolutely can. If you are using a VPN, then your physical location doesn’t really matter. In the virtual world, you can live anywhere you want.
And if you don’t have a VPN? Well, then the situation slightly changes. Some regions, like Greece, can normally access but with limited content. Others, like China, will not allow you to get in at all.
So, to wrap things up:
- For VPN users: doesn’t really make a difference
- For non-VPN users: depends on your location
How to Change Netflix Region: Wrapping Up
So, for those of you who are looking on how to change Netflix region, all you basically need is a trustworthy and fast VPN that can bypass geo-restrictions.
90% of the process is all about trying to find the right VPN for the job. After that, it’s all a matter of opening the app and connecting to a location that is not geo-blocked.
Of course, it goes without saying that you’ll need to have a Netflix subscription as well. And it sucks that we need to pay for Netflix AND for a VPN service to access all of the content that we were paying for anyway. But, that’s how it is.
And that’s about it. If you’ve got any questions, you can drop them in the comments section down below and the WTLS team will try to get back to you. Till next time.
- Apple AirPods VS PowerBeats Pro: Which Should You Pick? - January 1, 2021
- Our Cyberpunk 2077 Rating: Could Have Been the Best Game - December 15, 2020
- 10 Best Zoom Lens for iPhone Devices to Get in Late 2021 - December 2, 2020