Last Updated on September 19, 2019 by Jay
Learning how to uninstall iTunes is quite simple. Why do it? Well, that’s up to you to decide, really. But, the truth is that as music streaming apps like Spotify are becoming more and more popular, other apps like iTunes are becoming more and more obsolete. So, we can’t really blame you for wanting to get rid of it.
Other than that, you may also want to simply re-install it or have one less thing to worry about. In any case, here’s how to uninstall iTunes on Windows and Mac!
How to Uninstall iTunes on Windows 10
Uninstalling apps in older versions of Windows was quite a bit tiresome, to say the least. Thankfully, Microsoft heard our pleas and made it much easier to do so in Windows 10.
Here’s how to remove iTunes in the latest version of Windows:
- Click on the Windows icon (lower left part of the screen) or hit the Windows icon on your keyboard
- Go to settings by clicking on the gear icon
- Go to Apps
- Scroll down until you find iTunes
- Click on “Uninstall”
- Confirm and follow any on-screen instructions
In case that there are other Apple apps that you don’t need, you can remove them with the exact same method. Just repeat the uninstallation process and you should be good to go.
If you wish to install iTunes again, all you have to do is head over to its official website, download it, follow the installation instructions (Mostly just pressing on “Next”) and you should be good to go in no time. Just do keep in mind that you’ll need your log-in credentials (Apple ID and password).
How to Uninstall iTunes on Mac
Mac computers come with iTunes pre-installed. It’s considered a vital part of the operating system, so, do not uninstall it unless you absolutely have to. Obviously, that doesn’t apply for Windows.
That being said, if you simply wish to fix something that went wrong and re-install it, try running the installer first and see if that fixes the issue. In case you insist on uninstalling it, keep on reading, but don’t blame us in case that certain functionalities start breaking apart.
So, to uninstall iTunes on Mac, go to:
- Drag it to “Trash”
- Click on “Trash” while holding down the “CTRL” key
- And click on “Empty trash”
Chances are that you don’t have the required permissions to get rid of iTunes. And in that case, you’ll probably get a warning that looks like this:
In order to bypass that, we need to change iTune’s permissions. And in order to change the permissions, you’ll have to be an administrator (One who knows the password as well).
In order to do that:
- Hold down CTRL while selecting iTunes
- Click on “Sharing and permissions”
- Click on the lock icon
- Type in your password (Admin)
- Set the read and write permissions to “Everyone”
And now you should be able to uninstall iTunes.
If you’re still unable to uninstall it to system restrictions, then it’s for the best to stop right here. Tinkering with system files is not for the faint of heart. Preferably, only for those who know what they are doing.
That’s all for now. Quite simple really. But, again, do be careful with Mac. If you’ve got any questions, let us know about them in the comments section down below and we’ll try to get back to you.
- Apple AirPods VS PowerBeats Pro: Which Should You Pick? - January 1, 2021
- Our Cyberpunk 2077 Rating: Could Have Been the Best Game - December 15, 2020
- 10 Best Zoom Lens for iPhone Devices to Get in Late 2021 - December 2, 2020