Want to unlock Cricket phone and use it with different SIM cards for maximum data and calling benefits? Here’s everything you need to know about unlocking mobile phones on the Cricket cellular network, and some convenient third-party methods to do it.
Even before most of the developed world could enjoy the service of wireless cellphones, there was a market growing in the United States for network operators. The very first to join the race was Ameritech Mobile Communications, which is now popularly known as AT&T and continues to be the frontrunner among U.S. based cellular network carrier brands. For decades, now AT&T has been a staple network operator within the United States, even with the rise competition with names such as Verizon and Sprint to capture the budget mobile data market.
For years, AT&T has been a contract-style mobile network service provider just like the cable companies, offering a mobile phone and usage plan to lock down customers. However, the celestial growth in the mobile world forced AT&T to look into no-contract services, which was highlighted by its purchase of Cricket Wireless in the year 2014. Since then, Cricket Wireless has become the go-to brand to get cheaper mobile phones on affordable usage plans that can be paid for upfront.
Unlock Cricket Phone – But Why?
Not only does having a Cricket Wireless phone grant you access to the robust network set up by AT&T all across the country, but it also makes the most out of its GSM capabilities to work with any unlocked smartphone. But what if you want to take your Cricket phone to another network, or wish to use the smartphone abroad? There are plenty of reasons why you would want the freedom to unlock Cricket phone after paying in full for it, and here are just a few:
International Travel – For those who are always on the move, being connected to friends and family back home is a necessity. Keeping your Cricket Wireless network-locked phone SIM card activated during an international journey can be an expensive ordeal, which is why the ability to swap out the SIM card for one from a local network carrier brand is the right choice to make. With an unlocked smartphone, you can save big by skipping past the international roaming charges and get yourself a prepaid SIM card that is cheaper and easier to manage.
Selling the Phone – If you’ve ever browsed the market for a second-hand phone, you’ll see a clear distinction between unlocked and network-locked phones, with the unlocked variants being relatively more expensive. If you’re planning to sell off your smartphone while it can still fetch you a great price, then selling it in an unlocked state can help you bring in more cash since it allows the buyer complete freedom over the SIM card they wish to use with the device.
Cheaper Carriers – If you bought your smartphone with the Cricket Wireless network carrier and end up paying a premium price for the calling and data usage each month, it might be time for a change. Since you’ve already paid for your phone in full, wanting to cut down on the monthly phone bill is the smart move, and the best way to do so is to switch to a network carrier that offers the structure of a plan suiting your usage needs.
Officially to Unlock Cricket Phone
As much as the network carrier would love to keep you in chains and serve you the same mobile usage plans, the federal intervention dictates that, under certain conditions, the network carrier is obligated to unlock the networking capabilities of your smartphone. Although Cricket Wireless is meant to be a contract-free network option from AT&T, it too has certain devices in its inventory that may need to be unlocked officially by the carrier in order for you to use them.
Unlike several other network carriers that force you through a lengthy process when unlocking a mobile device, Cricket Wireless has a straightforward unlocking policy, since all of its devices have to be paid for upfront. However, you still need to adhere to the basic guidelines that have been established to unlock Cricket phone from the network.
- The Cricket Wireless mobile device you want to unlock from the network must be active for at least six 6 months and paid for.
- The mobile device must be originally designed for use on the Cricket Wireless network.
- There should not be a formal report of the device registered of being either lost or stolen by the owner. If it is found to be in such standing, the device will be blacklisted and you will be unable to have it unlocked.
- The mobile device should not be associated with a fraudulent account. Similarly, the Cricket Wireless account should also be listed in “good standing.”
According to the official Cricket Wireless policy in support of the Military Personnel, the company will unlock one Cricket-based mobile phone for a military service member, even if they do not meet the requirements. However, the person must be able to provide the deployment papers or other supporting documentation that verifies their military employment status.
How to unlock a phone on Cricket Wireless
Once you’ve checked the list above and qualified for the unlocking procedure, the steps to get your Cricket Wireless smartphone unlocked are quite straightforward. Rather than sending you down a rabbit hole trying to unlock the smartphone, the network operator allows you to unlock your device right from the web portal itself.
- Using the Cricket Wireless web portal, log into your account.
- Depending on your Android device, you might even need to complete the unlocking process using the myCricket app
- Sign in using your credentials and then head over to the Account Settings menu on the screen.
- Scroll down to find the phone number that is associated with the Cricket phone you wish to unlock.
- Use the Request Unlock button to view the unlock code right on the screen, or in the case of an iPhone, you will receive a text message with the unlock code.
Additionally, if you’re having trouble using the self-help web portal, Cricket Wireless customer service over at 1-800-CRICKET is always available to help you guide through the entire unlocking process.
Unlock Cricket Phone with a Third-Party Service
When comparing Cricket Wireless to most of the other network operators in the United States, the unlocking process is fairly simple due to the fact that all of its devices are offered on a no-contract basis. Since you’ve paid for the device in full upfront, the network carrier allows you the freedom to switch to other network operators after a fixed duration, if you see fit. However, there can be instances when you’re unable to unlock your Cricket Wireless phone using the official unlocking process.
Even if you did get yourself a brand-new Cricket Wireless phone with full payment, you need to activate the device with a valid Cricket Wireless SIM first. Inserting the SIM for the first time would begin the 60-day usage period, after which the device can be officially SIM unlocked for good. If you purchase a device from Cricket Wireless but do not insert a working Cricket SIM in it first, the device will be locked even after the 60-day period. In such cases, your only hope to get the Cricket Wireless locked device working on another network SIM is to seek the help of a third-party unlocking service, namely DirectUnlocks.
How to use DirectUnlocks with Cricket Wireless
DirectUnlocks has created a formidable position for itself in the SIM unlocking business, by offering safe, simple, and budget-friendly network unlocking service. Supporting not just unlocking of Cricket Wireless and other network operators in the USA, the unlocking service extends to countries such as the UK, Canada, and many more. DirectUnlocks does offer a high rate success rate, but the most impressive feature of it has to be that the device is unlocked within days, whereas the network unlocking process can take up to weeks in some cases.
Step 1: Fetch the IMEI Number
Before you can begin the simple process of getting your Cricket Wireless device SIM unlocked, you will be requested to fetch the IMEI number. The IMEI number is a unique code that is fingerprinted to your phone by the manufacturer, which acts as an identifier and is used by the authorities to track down the mobile device if it is lost or stolen. To find out the IMEI number that is linked to your Cricket Wireless phone, here’s what to do:
- Open the Phone app on your mobile phone.
- Bring up the dialer and enter the following code – *#06#*
- Press the dial button, and now you will be able to see a pop-up window with the IMEI number of your phone displayed on it.
Make sure that you write down the IMEI number shown on the screen since you will be needing it later on to request the unlock code.
Step 2: Use DirectUnlocks SIM Unlock Service
With the IMEI Number of your device within your reach, you can now head on to DirectUnlocks service provider to gain complete control of your mobile phone’s network.
- Head over to the DirectUnlocks website using the web link – www.DirectUnlocks.com.
- On the home screen, find the region from where you’ve purchased your phone, which should be the United States in the case of Verizon.
- Now under the Country of your selection, pick the Network Carrier as Cricket Wireless and continue.
- Here you will be able to view the unlocking fees that DirectUnlocks charges for each of the network operators.
- When you click on the network carrier name, you will be asked to Choose the Model as well.
- You will now be asked to enter the IMEI Number, so type in the code that you fetched earlier on your device.
- The next screen will give you additional details about your model and ask you to confirm the IMEI number you have typed in.
- You will be able to view the Average Timeframe mentioned by DirectUnlocks to complete the unlocking process.
The SIM unlocking process will now begin and the service will give you the ability to track the unlock progress using the reference information sent to you via email. Once the SIM unlocking process is completed, the unlock code will be emailed to you, so make sure to verify the email address you sign up with.
Note: DirectUnlocks boasts a high clearance rate by offering SIM unlocking services, but there can always be certain cases where the SIM network service provider does not deliver at all, or on time. However, you are always secure with your money backed by a guarantee, and even after the unlock code doesn’t seem to work for you, you connect with DirectUnlocks and claim a full refund right away.
After decades of ruling the mobile network space with supremacy in terms of connectivity and pricing, AT&T could not keep up the stronghold with the emergence of other brands. In an attempt to cater to the customers who wanted an affordable and non-binding agreement when buying a mobile phone and connection, the telecom giant took Cricket Wireless under its wing. Although the usage plans offered by Cricket Wireless are fairly affordable and you’ll hardly ever feel the need to switch your network carrier, this feeling could quickly change when you need to travel overseas and the crushing costs of international roaming take over.
Are you among those who paid in full for their mobile device and now want to learn how to unlock Cricket phone to test it out on other networks? Would you rather wait days or even weeks to see if your phone qualifies for an official unlock from Cricket Wireless, or would you rather have your smartphone up and running with complete freedom with DirectUnlocks? Do share your opinion in the comments section right down below.
- Best Noise Cancelling Headphones for iPhone to Get in 2021 - January 15, 2021
- Best Gaming Controller for iPhone to Get in 2020 - December 30, 2020
- Best Portable Speakers for iPhone to Get in 2020 - December 28, 2020