There is no official Kodi app that will allow you to use Kodi on your iPhone or iPad, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t other ways to download it. You can for instance just download the app from the Cydia software store if your phone is jailbroken. But for those of you who want to download Kodi without jailbreaking your iOS device, we’ve laid out the steps for you in this simple guide. For those of you who are interested in using Kodi at home, as an all-in-one media centre, be sure to read our article on installing kodi on a firestick.
What is Kodi?
Previously known as XBMC (Xbox Media Centre), Kodi is a home media hub that uses free and open source software to let you listen to, watch, and play pretty much anything you want. By aggregating all your stored media into one location, Kodi makes the storing and streaming of all your digital media convenient and easy.While Kodi does not officially contain or create any of its own content, the highly customizable interface, from themes to plugins and add-ons, as well as an active developers community, makes the well-designed media hub a natural choice for power users.The Kodi app is available on the official site for download on all major operating systems, although you need to jailbreak your iPhone or iPad for the iOS versions to work. Kodi used to be called XBMC, which might be what’s causing the confusion. It’s a versatile and extremely popular piece of media-player software, and is often used to play internet video (or downloaded media files in variety of formats) on a big-screen TV. The biggest draw is the vast number of add-ons available, offering extended functionality like the ability to watch movies or live TV. Contrary to popular belief, you can use Kodi to play video on an iPad or iPhone – just not officially, since the software isn’t available on the App Store. Instead, the most common approach is to download it from the Cydia software store, but this strategy obviously only works on devices that are jailbroken. While it’s probably simpler to go down the jailbreaking route, there is a way to install the Kodi app on your iOS device without a jailbreak – and here’s how to do it.
Method 1: Install Kodi on your iPhone using TweakBox App
TweakBox is a wonderful tool to download numerous apps that are unavailable on the Apple store. Even you might get many paid apps that are completely free in TweakBox. This excellent 3rd party app installer can be used to install Kodi on your favourite iPhone. Follow the below instructions to download TweakBox and install Kodi on your iPhone:
- Open Safari browser on your iPhone and go to www.tweakboxapp.com
- Click on the ‘DOWNLOAD APP’ button to download TweakBox app
3. An Install Profile will now be shown in your settings. Select the ‘Install’ button from your top right and install again when prompted to get the app
4. The TweakBox will be on your home screen now. Return on your home screen to open the app. You might need to click away popped up ads if there’s any.
5. Now go to ‘APPS’ from the right of the screen after launching the app and choose ‘Tweakbox Apps’ from the categories.
6. Go to the search bar and find Kodi from the there
7. Select Kodi and install the app
8. Before opening the app, you need to go to Settings >> General >> Profile and Devices Management
9. You will find some texts like below screen in the ‘ENTERPRISE APP’. Click on the text to proceed.
10. Now, click on the ‘Trust’ button on your text that you will find on your iPhone and click on ‘Trust’ again when it appears.
11. Go back to your home screen and you will find the Kodi app installed.
Method 2: Installing Kodi using Cydia Impactor
This is an alternative way to install Kodi on your iOS device without jailbreaking. Cydia Impactor is a popular app available for macOS and Windows that allows iOS users to install non-App Store apps .To get started you will want to download Cydia Impactor and the most recent Kodi .IPA file. You can download the latest file from this link. Remember to download the latest version. Avoid any beta versions as they may be unstable and buggy. It is important to note the current Kodi version/build isn’t a 64-bit app. Therefore it is not supported in iOS 11, so this is for iOS 10 and earlier users.
Follow the following steps:
- First, Connect your iOS device to your PC or Mac. If iTunes opens automatically when you plug in your iOS device, close the iTunes application before you start the next step.
- Open the Cydia Impactor application. Then, drag-and-drop Kodi .ipa file you downloaded earlier on to the app.
- Select your iOS device n the drop-down menu, then click Start button.
- Cydia will prompt for the Apple ID login. The login is verified with Apple.
- Once the app has been installed, go to Settings >> General >> Profiles & Device Management. The location of this may vary depending on the your version of IOS.
- Find the profile with your Apple ID and then open it.
- Select the Trust button
- Then open the appplication. Have fun exploring many benefits that you get from Kodi!
- After Your Kodi is Installed: Add Kodi Add-ons onto your iPhone
After downloading and installing Kodi app, you can add your preferred add-ons to get your Kodi experience at its best. You can get the full list of Kodi add-ons here so that you can choose for yourself. That’s it. Enjoy!!
Now that you have installed Kodi on your iOS device. You won’t have access to any content on Kodi in its basic installation. To stream movies, TV Shows, or Sports, you will need to install different Addons or leverage a Build which includes multiple Addons in a seamless user experience.
Wondering how to get the best Kodi Addons or Builds on your Fire TV / Stick? Check out the links below which will help you install popular Addons and builds which are working fine and pulling quality streams.