Have you been searching Google trying to find out how to unlockSamsung galaxy s9 handsets? Luckily for you, you’ve come to the right place because this handy, comprehensive guide will cover everything you need to know. No matter what network you’re on, how long you’ve owned your handset, or where you live in the worldyou’ll be able to find all the expert hints and tips you need to free your s9 right here.
How to unlock Samsung galaxy s9 handsets and break free
Network locking is so annoying because it basicallyrestricts how you can use your handset over its entire lifetime. Why? Carriers want you to stay with them for the long haul, and strike deals with phone manufacturers like Samsung and Apple. And that is what prevents you from quickly changing networks.
The upshot of this is that the carriers know that you’re locked in and so can offer you uncompetitive packages that you’re forced to pay for month after month. Today we’re going to talk you through everything you need to know to put a stop to these types of practices.
To unlock Samsung galaxy s9 handsets, there are a few things that you need to know right from the get-go. Work your way through these three simple steps to check that you have everything you need to get started:
- Do you owe your network provider any money? If you do, then I politely suggest you pay it because you’ll be going nowhere fast if you don’t.
- If you’ve bought your handset secondhand, then it’s vital that you make sure it’s not been tampered with, used illegally, or is stolen. If it is, then reportit to the authorities immediately otherwise, you may get into serious trouble.
- Check the terms and conditions of your network provider thoroughly. They may not be the most transparent or gripping things to read, but there’s a reason we’re starting here. The first port of call is always to ask your network provider if they’ll unlock your handset. That way you can get someone else to do the hard work for you.
Now that you’ve worked through those 3-quick steps you’re ready to push ahead with your Samsung galaxy s9 unlockby becoming acquainted with the IMEI number.
DirectUnlockwill need your IMEI Number
When you want to know how to unlock galaxy s9 handsets, you’re going to run into the term ‘IMEI number’over and over again. To make sure you’re up to speed make sure you read the following definition:
Your IMEI number is your handset’s unique identifier. It’s like a digital fingerprint that tells Samsung everything there is to know about your device. Storage, model, color, date of manufacture, even whether it is locked or unlocked.
That last bit is precisely why it’s so important.
Finding the IMEI Number
Given how crucial your IMEI number is it’s lucky that it’s so easy to find. Here’s how you can discover yours so that you can power through and determinethe best way to unlock your handset:
- Turn on your S9
- Dial: *#06#
- Note down the 15 digit IMEI codethat will be displayedon your home screen
It really is that simple, and because you can dial it anytime, you’ll be able to double-check that you’ve used the correct 15 digit code if you run into issues at any point. All you have to do is give this to DirectUnlock , and they’ll take care of everything.
That said, if you want to look at the alternatives here they are:
Unlocking Your Phone By Approaching Your Network Provider – Slow, Unreliable
When someone asks us how to unlock galaxy S9 handsets, one option is to contact your network provider. The critical thing to remember here is that they want to keep you as a customer and they’re a massive organization with mountains of bureaucracy. That means that if they wantto make things difficult and drag out the process, then it will be quite easy for them to do so.
At the end of the day,they don’t want to lose your business, and they’ll try a few tricks to make sure you don’t just walk away.
Contacting your provider is not always the guaranteed route to an unlocked handset that you’d think it would be at first, but it’s still worth a good go. Read the next section for a few hints and tips from the pros on how to approach things.
Or you could save yourself time and a bunch of time on hold and justgo with DirectUnlock…
How to Contact Your Network Provider
We said above they want to keep you which means it may be a drawn out and time-consuming process. There are also some scenarios in which they’re not obliged to hand over the 8-digit code that will free you from their network. To give yourself the best possible chance of getting a positive result follow these three simple pointers:
- Ask for the name of the person on the other end of the phone before the call finishes.
- Take notes and keep them in a safe place so you can refer back to them during your next call or email with the provider.
- Ensure you always ask for a realistic timeframe for the next action to take place within. If deadlines slip then don’t be shy about chasing people on the phone or via email. Plus, always ask for the person who you spoke to last. Thisis where the first two points will reallyhelp you out!
The Unlocking Process: If you receive an unlock code from your network
This is the dream scenario, and even though it’s not a guarantee, we want to talk you through every step of this approach before looking at more advanced options.
If you can get your provider to unlock your handset, then that’s brilliant, and you’ve made the simple approach work for you. They’ll be able to tell you how long it will take to send the code to your handset if it’s something they’re willing to do.
Once you receive it here’s what you need to do:
- Power off your s9 and remove the existing SIM card(don’t throw it away though in case something has gone wrong with the unlock and you still need it).
- Power your phone back on and when prompted enter the 8 digit unlock code your carrier has provided.
- Power off your S9, insert the SIM from your new networkand then power it back on.
- You should now be able to enjoy your new, far more economical network package with no restrictions. Congratulations you have just unlocked your first Galaxy s9!
What to Do If Your Provider Won’t Unlock It For You
So you’ve been diligent and approached the provider with all the right information, but they still won’t help you out. You’ve sat puzzled about how to unlock galaxy s9 handsets, and there doesn’t seem to be much else you can do.
Sound familiar? Rest assured we have plenty more tricks up our sleeves.
Advanced options for when your provider won’t unlock your S9 — some are better than others
This guide is about covering all the methods that are out there. That means we’re going to look at the good ones and the bad ones and explore their pros and cons. That way you’ll never fall foul of risky or costly approaches which often fail to get the job done.
By knowing how to spot methods that promise the world but ultimately do more harm than good you’ll be able to unlock your s9 handset. But, without the costs and headaches that can so often go with it if you opt for the wrong approach.
Here’s a quick list of the different approaches we’re going to be taking a closer look at:
- Carrier Unlocking: if you’re still reading then this method didn’t work for you
- Hardware Unlocking: a high-risk strategy that will often not end well for your device or your wallet
- IMEI Unlocking: our preferred method; I advise everyone to try it
As we’ve already covered the carrier unlocking approach, and it hasn’t worked for you, unfortunately, let’s take a look at the next entry on our list.
Hardware Unlocking: A high-risk strategy that probably won’t end well
Thismay sound like quite a negative spin to put on a subsection of a help guide, but remember that we’re covering every option out there. That means we’re going to look at the good ones and the downright bad ones too!
What is hardware unlocking?
By its very nature hardware unlocking is a shady and opaque business. If you decide (against our better judgment and advice) to go down this route, then be prepared for a generally poor level of service and vague deadlines and promises.
The chances are you’ll be paying a large sum of money in cash to someone who hasn’t had a lot of success in what they’re doing. They won’t have any detailed knowledge or the tools required to work on such an intricate device. Plus, they’ll likely end up doing more harm than good.
Just remember that there are plenty more options out there than a shady character who promises to be able to unlock your s9 in an hour for a few hundred dollars. To ensure that you steer well clear of this shortsighted approach we’ve compiled a few bullet points for you to have a read of:
- Always remember that there are plenty more options open to you than going down the hardware unlocking approach.
- Even if your carrier has declined your reasonable request to have your handset unlocked there are plenty more ways to get it freed (more on that shortly)
- The person you’re paying is unlikely to have any specialist knowledge of mobile hardware or software and maydo more harm than good
- They will certainly not have access to the specialist tools needed to remove critical parts of your handset safely. That poses a severe risk to the health of your phone and could easily result in it being critically damaged.
- The ‘expert’ offering this service will not have the latest training from Samsung and will not have any idea as to the true complexity of the device they’re working on
- By hiring an unlicensed and untrained third party to modify your phone in this manner, you’re invalidating the warranty. Whether you intended this to be the case or not is irrelevant. Samsung will have zero obligation to provide any assistance and will charge you a hefty sum for a repaired or replacement handset.
Hopefully, these quick few points summarize precisely why we think hardware unlocking is such an unreliable route to go down. Now, let’s focus on something that does actually work:
IMEI Unlocking – My preferred choice everytime
It’s the final entry on our list of options, and we’ve saved the most potent option until last. Like we said earlier, we always advise people to contact their network provider first to see if they will do the hard work for them. If they’re willing and able to this means all you have to do is punch in an 8digit unlock code when you reset your handset.
The downside is that because they want to keep you tied to an expensive monthly payment plan they will often decline your reasonable request to have your handset unlocked.
So you’ll notice that we’ve thrown this subheading in, right after talking about IMEI unlocking The reason for that is, we want to cover all the bases. Many people online and in the industry will refer to anything to do with IMEIs as ‘Factory Unlocking.’ That doesn’t mean that you need to send your handset away physically, it merely refers to the fact that it gives you a universal method to reset your phone back to a state where it can be assignedto any network you choose.
Why is IMEI Unlocking my preferred method?
Asking your provider to unlock your handset is a great way to start, but it often won’t get you anywhere. Hardware unlocking is fraught with danger and uncertainty, and I hope you have seen from our advice above, it is worth staying clear of. That leaves the door wide open for a universal method that always gets the job done.
Have a look at my notes below and see for yourself why it’s the right method for the job:
- IMEI unlocking is a safe and trusted method that is used by millions of Samsung owners every single year. Owners of other handset brands also use it due to its universal applicability.
- Because you don’t manipulate the hardware in any way, you are paying for a permanent solution that won’t invalidate your warranty or damage your handset.
- You never have to hand over your device to a third party which ensures the entire process is safe and secure. That is if you follow my hints and tips on what to look for (more on those in a minute)
- IMEI unlocking works by altering Samsung’s database entry for your specific handset. It’s entirely legal and won’t invalidate your warranty. Because it’s essentially a paperwork method that doesn’t change anything on your device itself it will last forever. That makes it ideal if you want to make sure you don’t suddenly encounter issues when a new software update is installed.
- You can pay a vastly experienced company to take care of everything for you. Thisis far more reliable and better for your peace of mind than paying a shady character in the back of a store to fiddle with the device itself.
Finding the right IMEI unlocking service
The secret here is to be just as discerning as you would be about paying for any other product or service. While I said that IMEI unlocking is mostly just a paperwork trick, this doesn’t mean that it’s so simple anyone can do it.
#2 DoctorSim come in a credible second and are indeed worth a look if you want to shop around.
The principle is simple and straight forward (isn’t that so often true of the best ideas) but the execution is the tricky part. Ask the three simple questions below when you come to shop around for an unlocking expert, and you won’t fall foul of the common pitfalls people so often encounter.
Finding the right unlocking company, are they selling something that’s too good to be true?
If something seems too good to be true, then the chances are that it is. The reason the company you’re looking at is so cheap will be to do with some combination of their service and experience. They could be a fledgling startup trying to undercut the competition to gain traction in the marketplace. This type of dynamism is to be admired, but they may lack the experience needed to get the job done.
Secondly, they may only offer a limited number of networks they can get you on. Or thirdly, they may have a poor reputation for results and have been recently forced to drop their prices to get more business.
Why DirectUnlock are the best in the business
Fast and efficient service
Expect any reputable company to complete the job within four working days. If there’s no explicit mention of the timeframe on their website, then we suggest asking them outright before you part with your hard-earned money. DirectUnlock makes things instant the moment you receive the unlock code from them which is fantastic service in my opinion.
A comprehensive range of unlockednetworks and regions?
Knowing the specifics of what the company can offer is paramount. Check that they provide plenty of new unlocked networks in your region. If you get ahead of yourself and skip this step because you’re taken in by a slick sales pitch, then you may be left disappointed in a couple of day’s time when you’ve got a relatively limited choice of new contracts.
A team that caters for every type of phone
What I really liked about DirectUnlock is that they providedfor a vast range of phones, not just mine. Thatgave me the confidence that they’d continue to support me and were constantlyexpanding their options. I actually ended up recommending them to a whole bunch of my friends who don’t even use Samsung yet. It was great to see that they provided them with the same level of expertise and customer support throughout the entire unlocking process.
Conclusion – DirectUnlock are my #1 pick every time
Hopefully, this guide has shed plenty of light on the issue of locked Samsung devices. If you have recently bought an S9, and want to be able to use it on a different network so you can choose the best monthly package for your budget, then there’s plenty of tips on how to go about that above.
Steer well clear of hardware ‘experts’who will claim to be able to unlock your s9 in an hour or less in exchange for cash. There’s a distinct possibility that they’ll do more harm than good and you’ll be leftwith a broken handset and a costly bill to repair it because your warranty is now invalid.
Most importantly of all, take the time to research which companies offer the best range of networks they can put you on before you part with your hard-earned money. That way you’ll ensure you have plenty of choices when you’re looking at new monthly contracts!