Last Updated on May 6, 2019 by Jay
Are you among those who have been wondering what the VPN Kill Switch is and what can it do for your privacy protection? Here’s everything you need to know about this advancement is VPN security and how ExpressVPN has it covered.
Decades ago, the World Wide Web was made available to the public to connect and discover the world on a digital platform. Designed to be the epitome of communications system developed by human beings, the internet has helped create a bridge between continents, and connect people to their loved ones across the planet. With the evolution of the internet, the capabilities have rapidly developed, whether you consider the advent of the online entertainment industry, or the growth of businesses through e-commerce.
While the World Wide Web appears to be nothing short of a positive advancement on the surface, the underbelly of this giant beast draws a different picture. From widespread piracy to all sorts of shady dealings that happen online, it is no surprise that online regulations by federal authorities have been put in place for your protection. However, the tightened grip on the usability of the internet can seem like a chokehold to some, which is why the concept of VPN (Virtual Private Network) services has been well-received by users across the globe.
VPN Kill Switch – Evolution of Online Security
Over the years, the need for VPN has largely increased due to geo-restrictions and extensive surveillance by government agencies. This is why you can find VPN services dime a dozen, hosting thousands of servers across the world and offering the latest in online security. One of the latest advancements in online security has been the VPN Kill Switch feature, which is already available among the top-rated services. But what does the Kill Switch feature actually do, and how does it keep your internet browsing experience more secure than ever?
The way the VPN Kill Switch as it is marketed as across the web works, is based on automatic disconnection. During a drop in the connection or a delay in response from the VPN server, there is a chance that the anonymity of your browsing experience may be compromised and the IP address of your computer, mobile phone, or tablet may become visible. Under such circumstances, the VPN Kill Switch feature is designed to disconnect you from the internet automatically, thus preventing your online identity from being revealed due to any technical network errors.
While VPN Kill Switch feature may not be as widespread as the some of the other security features that are commonly used by VPN service providers, it certainly has its advantages. Out of the select few that actually offer this feature, ExpressVPN has been highly recommended, owing to its high rate of uninterrupted network connectivity. However, the Kill Switch feature is also a definite must for the following types of users:
- Those who regularly use torrent websites are at high risk of being identified by the ISP and federal authorities. A drop in the network server connection of the VPN for even a second would be enough to leak out your IP address.
- Those who are concerned with their privacy and protecting personal information make up a large chunk of VPN users. However, having the Kill Switch feature enabled is what makes the VPN worth it to begin with.
- If you are using the VPN service on an office or corporate network connection and want to stay anonymous at all times, the Kill Switch feature is a bare essential.
Does ExpressVPN Offer the VPN Kill Switch Feature?
Keeping up with the latest and great in the field of network security, ExpressVPN is among the list of service providers to offer the Kill Switch feature under the guise of Network Lock. The Network Lock feature has been constructed to cut the flow of the internet connection instantaneously when the VPN service detects a drop in connection to the remote servers that are keeping your browsing experience anonymous.
- By pulling the plug on your internet connection as soon as the VPN disconnects, the Network Lock feature ensures that your anonymity is never compromised.
- ExpressVPN activates the Network Lock feature automatically when you attempt to connect to one of the thousands of VPN servers that it offers.
- The Network Lock feature is supported by the ExpressVPN app for Windows PC, Mac OS X, Linux, and even supported Routers.
- The Network Lock feature allows you to connect to a local network while being enabled in the settings menu.
How to Enable Network Lock on ExpressVPN
Now that you’ve understood what the Network Lock (VPN Kill Switch) feature on ExpressVPN is capable of and how you can use it, you can proceed to learning how to enable it. As mentioned earlier, the feature can be manually enabled on both Windows and Mac OS X computers, but isn’t available for the mobile version of ExpressVPN.
- Launch the ExpressVPN app on your Windows or Mac OS X computer device.
- Press the three-line Menu button on the top-left corner of the screen.
- Select the Options button from the drop-down menu (Preferences on Mac OS X).
- Open the General tab and look for the Network Lock section under it.
- Make sure that the two checkbox under the Network Lock section are marked with a tick which confirms that the feature is active.
The Network Lock feature is quite useful when it comes to protecting your identity and ensuring that a drop in connection does not hinder it. However, if you are not too concerned about revealing your IP address to the website administrator and don’t want the hassle of being disconnected from the internet each time there is a delay in the server response time, then you can choose to disable the VPN Kill Switch feature of ExpressVPN. Simply follow the instructions highlighted above to disable the Network Lock feature and you’ll be golden.
The internet has transformed the way we enjoy entertaining content, do business, and even communicate with the world. However, with the rapid growth of the World Wide Web, the freedom of being able to do whatever our hearts desire has been severely restricted. VPN services such as ExpressVPN have been created for the very purpose of bringing back the freedom with which the internet was originally intended to be used. While offering you the room to browse the internet anonymously and bypassing geo-restrictions put forth by web services, the addition of the Kill Switch feature ensures that you get all-round protection.
Does your VPN service provider offer you the security and peace of mind that comes with the Network Lock feature of ExpressVPN? Do you have any questions pertaining the VPN Kill Switch feature that you want to be answered? Just reach out to us in the comments section right down below and we’ll be sure to respond back.
- How to Unlock giffgaff iPhone in 2021 – Complete Guide - August 3, 2021
- How to Unlock Virgin Mobile iPhone in 2021 - July 21, 2021
- Unlock Three iPhone in 2021 – The Complete Guide - July 1, 2021